Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stephansplatz: The Great Search for Viennese Friends, Part 1

On the advice of a very attractive guy (I guess I have a weakness for sexy men ;)) who knows more about Vienna than I do, I went to stephansplatz today with the intention to meet people because I only know the family with whom I live. I'm a pretty independent person, but it would be fantastic to have some folks to hit the clubs or go to shows and things with. at this point, my goal is to make a few "starter friends." You know the first people you meet in a new place who you hang out with initially though you quickly realize that they will never be your favorite people, but you keep them around because through them you meet OTHER people who you do like.
Anyway, I never found what, by his description, seems to be the Viennese mecca of international students, but I did find what I think is the oldest church in Vienna, the Jewish Museum, The Mozart house/museum, a rad street band, an English church! (where I'll definitely be on Sunday because I think it'll be a good place to meet some friendly folk), and a group of students from California touring Vienna this week. They were awesome, and we had lunch! Unfortuantely, they are only here until Friday morning. C'est la vie!
Discovery of the Day:
"Breaking Dawn" is available in paperback here but not in the states! What an outrage.

No comments: