Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Continued from Yesterday continued from September 13th

I climbed the stairs to the third floor of the Art History Museum to discover that the only thing there was a coin collection! Now, I don't care about coins, but, since I had made the effort to go up there, I decided to take a gander. And, may I just say that I was impressed!-not because of the specimens themselves but because the collection was HUGE! It was unbelievable.
Then, as I was turning to go back downstairs to the partially emasculated statues and such, I saw a visa card in a display case...??? It wasn't even a real visa but merely one of those cheaps, fake visas like you'd receive in a mail solicitation. Hundreds of priceless, ancient coins, and one piece of plastic that would be in my trash can now had it arrived in my mail. I couldnt read the German title for this display, but the other objects in it lead me surmise that it was something along the lines of "From Seashells to plastic: The Evolution of Currency through the Centuries." Oddly enough, this really made me think. Today, we think seashells are worthless while a plastic card has nearly infinite value potential. At one time, I could have bought a loaf of bread and maybe a donkey with a few well selected seashells, but a plastic card would have gotten me nothing except a few perplexed looks. Currency only has value because we, as a global society, agree that it has. Otherwise, it's worth is nothing more than an illusion.
Tune in tomorrow (or possibly Thursday, depending on when I have time to post) for the scoop on what happened later on September 13 and how I ended up back in Springfield. It'll be the back story that I haven't been blogging ;)

No comments: