Monday, September 8, 2008

Queer

So, I took the kids to school this morning, and now I'm taking care of personal business until Norbert comes back home to show me things I need to know, like where to grocery shop for the family and such.
I have awesome news! I think it's pretty cool anyway. Oscar's teacher (He's the 7 year old that I'm watching) asked me if I would like to teach English at the school! and of course I said yes! First, I want to get a little settled, but I think that'll be really fun! Especially because Western Europe is not known for letting Americans teach English in their public schools :-). I'm really flattered to have been asked. AND, it'll give me a chance to bond a little with Oscar who is a very sensitive boy, which I suspect is because he feels like he doesnt get enough attention. His sister, Elsa, is a really dominant personality, so Oscar kind of gets pushed to the side and his feelings are easily hurt.

After taking the kids to school, I decided to explore Vienna a bit. So, I took the U-bahn/metro/subway to Stephans Platz (the city center). It was amazing! (See pictures)
Nearby, I found several bookstores. One was a discount bookstore. There weren't any English books, but it was still cool. Another was an antique bookstore, which, oddly enough, had one English book-"Queer in America." A fine example of quality, classic literature I'd say.
Quirky Viennese thing: Viennese people do NOT cross at crosswalks when the walking signal is red. I stood next to a side-street about 10 feet wide waiting for the signal to turn with 5 other people. We did not see any cars for 3 minutes, but I appeared to be the only person even considering Jaywalking.
I also found an organic grocery store. Even with it's home-y Mamma Jean's smell, I was still somehow just a little too intimidated to buy anything.
Then, I stopped at Volkstheater/Volksgarten on the way home, but the pictures pretty much tell the story there. :)

2 comments:

Jake said...

Wow! THat's great news about being able to teach English! Dalas and I are considering going to China for a couple years to teach English after we're done at Concordia St. Paul. I can't wait to hear more about that experience!

MadMacs said...

How you doing? How's the weather, raining here. Your car is covered.